Stories From The Tamaracks:
|This picture was taken at The Tamaracks around 1938. Henry Turner is at the far left and Massey McCullough is standing next to him. At far right is Lou Lansing. The others are unidentified. Photo courtesy of Monte Turner, Pel Turner's son.|
Brothers Pelham "Peeps" Turner, left, and Henry "Heine" Turner at The Tamaracks. "Peeps," from St. Louis, Missouri, was Pel Turner's uncle. Picture taken in late 1930's. Car in background is a Marmon. Photo courtesy of Monte Turner, Pel Turner's son.
December 7, 2000
Seeley Swan Pathfinder
Seeley Lake, Montana
Stories From Long Ago About the Tamaracks of Seeley Lake and Surrounding Area Compiled by Jack Demmons. This is Part 13.
As mentioned in a previous article about The Tamaracks, the owner, Henry Turner, had married Maude McCullough in Missoula May 14, 1914. She was the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. G. T. McCullough and the sister of Massey McCullough.
Henry and Maude moved to Seattle for a year and a half shortly after their marriage. Upon returning to Missoula Henry became a partner in the Massey-Turner Motor Company at 214 East Main street, a short distance beyond the Union Club's location.
Massey had been deeply involved with automobile sales in Missoula for some time. The Missoula Sentinel on August 7, 1915 commented: "Massey McCullough and Fred Angevine unloaded four Saxon 'Sixes' this morning..." On August 21, 1915, the paper had another article: "Massey McCullough, Missoula's star tennis player and automobile enthusiast, just secured the agency for the new Packard Twin-Six, thus making four different kinds of cars which the McCullough Motor Car Company is handling. The Packard demonstrator will be here about October 1."
However, Massey wasn't about to wait for the delivery of the Packard. The Missoula Sentinel, October 27, 1915 stated: "Packard Carries Party Over Divide. First Car of Its Kind Ever Shipped to Montana Was Driven by Mr. McCullough..." (He had taken a train to Helena and after three of the new vehicles were unloaded from a Northern Pacific freight train, proceeded to drive his Packard Twin-Six to Missoula. He had seven passengers with him. They left Helena at 2:00 p.m. and drove over Priest Pass instead of McDonald Pass.)
[Around 1881 a Mr. Priest started work on that road and built a tavern at the top of the pass for thirsty travelers who came by on horseback, by wagon, stagecoach, and on foot. Priest Pass is 3 1/2 miles north of McDonald Pass and 326 feet lower in elevation. Upon leaving Helena, one heads northwest up Sweeney Creek. After cresting the pass the road leads down to Dog Creek and on to Elliston, Avon, Garrison and then towards either Drummond or Deer Lodge. The new automobile road over Priest Psss was completed during the autumn of 1915, shortly before Massey and his passen